19 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

I needed a race like this pretty badly at oAo, I think.
Strong qualifying, good race, no drama, no costly errors, and finish with a good result.
It is exactly what I got today.

At qualifying I managed to set a lap of under 2 minutes, much to my surprise.
I was estatic about it, as I was also ahead of Robert for a while during the session.
Couldn't help dreaming of actually having a front row seat for the race until getting a wake-up call.

Had a good start as I maintained position, didn't notice the havoc in the midfield.
Few laps later either side went their own ways, with Roy and Robert dashing off ahead and the pack of John/Dag/Enrique/Frank gradually falling further back.
That said, this was the rest of my race in a nutshell. I had one small moment early in the race spinning at Forrest's Elbow as well but no damage was recorded.

Third position came as a sense of relief for me.
After all, I have been dry from taking a step on the stage since Nürburgring 2017, 1½ years back!
And a good position was also welcome after a P3 was already savagely taken from me.

So, eh, yeah... I'm smiling after today :D

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 09 March 2019 - 12:56 PM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hello everybody!

At first, thanks all for the reception to oAo. This was my first race in the league and I enjoyed the challenge. I don't remember when was the last time I felt myself so slow and this speaks about the level of the drivers racing here.
I hadn't enough time to practice and I still feel I didn't discover "something" in Bathurst, as drivers that are about my speed were 2 second in front (well, not with Honda...).

My race was, actually, rather boring after T1. I became about 800 meters behind Tristan Bot (in a Cooper) and I managed to keep that distance (I suspect he did some mistake) until my engine blown up.

I think I had some lag, because in T1 I apparently hit Ed Cullen (I'm very sorry for that) but I noticed it only for the reaction of his car...

Cheers. I hope to see you in the next race.

Marcos.
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Recently got hacked live during a race, causing me to DNF. Fixed that. Also last week missed a leaguerace because sometimes my system hangs on the Internet Acces after boot. Last night my sidemonitor started to fail. Finally fixed it with another smaller sized monitor, but it's a bit off. But it's better than nothing. Even so, was aggrevated and didn't have the right mindset to start the event.

Crashed in quali before putting a good lap in, simply didn't have the focus and a clear mind. But in the last 5 minutes pulled off a decent effort, good enough for the front row. Roy's time was unreachable anyhow.

When the flag dropped had calmed down, but my start wasn't the best, and tried to hold the outside at Hell Corner. Got lucky holding on to second. Sadly noticed in replay there was a big mess out of that corner, and a lot of a heartbreak and retirements. That sucks.

Tried to hang on to Roy, and Yannick gradually faded. Ran a good race, not my best, but had a really good spell midrace closing the gap with Roy. But Roy never made a mistake and was dominant on the straights. He always could match or better my laptimes. Nevertheless I do enjoy this track a lot, it's a real challenge to go fast. One of my favorite tracks for sure.

Good win Roy, and well deserved podium for Yannick! :) Well done finishers, commiserations to the retirements, especially those suffering after the start. Also heartbreak for Dag losing his engine late race. Thanks all for the room when lapping.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 09 March 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

I was pretty happy qualifying in 15th place at a track like this - not my kind of track. On the grid I guess that I didn't pay enough attention to the tach and blew the engine - right in front of my teammate!
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Got a decent setup on the car, I know where the track goes and my race ends after the first turn when a Cooper shoots across my bow and I notice a little to late its not accelerating. What should have been a slight tap was turned into three burning powerplants and to finish it off I decided to pull off the road forgetting about half the field behind me.

Not the greatest outing from myself.
I just wanna race

#6 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Congratulations to the podium!
My qualy was disastrous, I was stuck in the tires of the first sector, and thinking about the mistake I made in punta fria I decided to push escape, and wait for the last 5 min, I was confident that I could achieve a time to start in the top five. When I enter the track with 5 min I had a freeze, I had to restart gpl and re-enter and my qualy was lost, I started from the last position, I was able to overcome all accidents favorably and arrive in 7th place, I was satisfied to make a correct race with my teammates, I think not to have harmed anyone that was my first goal, but can not turn in the times that it was in training, but little by little we will improve, compete against aliens like robert, roy is an incredible motivation.

Edited by Miguel Palud, 09 March 2019 - 08:14 PM.

#7 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

Grats to the podium on a complete s**t day for me and the team.

I think I threw Enrique off a little in the start going into T1 , sorry for that Enrique , the thing was between me and John the ping rate was probably pretty high so just as we were going into T1 from the start John started to pop and hop around infront of me and at first I thought I was gonna hit him and then it looked like he was sliding wide but all of that was just a lagging issue so that made me hesitant going into the turn and thats why I went a little wider than I had to and made a small correction that caught Enrique on the outside. Again , my apologies.

Other than that it can be summed up with BLÆH.. on to the next.

#8 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

Well, A surprisingly good race for me even when taking into account the few off track moments which cost me 4 places in all.

I have to admit I was pooing my pants towards the end of qualifying. I really expected most to be well into the 2:00's for qualifying, and thought my 2:01.09 would be tail end at best. I was almost willing drivers to post a better time as contesting the sharp end wasn't my remit for today.

Start seemed to go well I noticed Dag having a look up the inside on the run down to T1 and then lost him in the mirrors for a second causing me to miss the braking point for T1. I saw some lag as the front 4 went into T1 and think it was my end. It caused me to run a little wide, Dag followed which caused a few others to also get off line, Really sorry for that. :(

Then in T2 I again ran wide but fortunately nothing more than a brush with the fence and I didn't lose any positions. A brief moment of complete panic when I found Michael upside on track entering the conrod straight but through safely. Dag was now over me like a rash and obviously a lot quicker than I was which became obvious watching the replay from his cockpit he seemed to be cruising once he got really close. Eventually I made a stupid mistake @ T1 and both Dag and Killer were through.

Didn't hit anything but now had Enrique and teamie Carlos for company. Again my inexperience and pushing myself way past the limits of my talent meant it was only a matter of time before I made another mistake and sure enough a bad landing on the run down to the final turn got me into a bit of a tank slapper and using the fence to scrub off speed. Fortunately no damage but another 2 places lost.

Once I was driving alone the Adrenalin subsided and having a healthy lead over the next person (Tris) I was able to just concentrate on bringing it home, Spent a few laps watching the advancing Roy and Rob and adjusted my speed to ensure they caught me on the exit of Forest Elbow so was able to move out of the way with no drama.

So objective achieved, No damage, coins in the bank.

Congrats all finishers and obviously to the podium amazing drives.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#9 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

I had a rougher ride than I should have but I thoroughly enjoyed the track. It's one of the places you grow up watching on TV  that has a larger than life persona. I definitely want to go there one day.

In Q I had two clear laps where I things were moving in the right direction and naturally messed up both laps. After the first run I went out again but for some reason it kept the damage I had accrued from the previous lap. This was the case for all of my subsequent runs, and somewhat exasperated, I randomly changed the settings between Q and race and it worked. It is probably a known bug but in a panic situation I proved ignorant.

Bob blowing up in front of me likely kept me from getting involved in the T1 mess, however I was very timid, and on cold tires I went off twice in the first couple of laps. After that the car was a handful and bottoming a fair bit in sectors 2/3. It got better as the tank lightened but I was part of the scenery more often than not and drove way under what the car was capable of. I had a big moment when my landlord started playing with the garage door opener. It happens multiple times every race and I should know by now but it caught me out this time in rather spectacular fashion on entrance to Forest's elbow. I lost the front a bit and road up the left wall, turning over and around in the process, just as Roy and Rob entered  the scene to lap. Miraculously I got a single medium damage report for my efforts. Several laps later I was 11th and starting to get a bit braver. I went a lot faster than I had been and also wiped out a few decent laps with big mistakes that thankfully didn't add any damage.

All in all it was a pretty challenging event for me. With heat in the tires the car had a reasonable balance but without I had no feel/ no confidence and the front was just washing out on me. Even in practice I found I really had to throw the car around superficially to get and maintain the temps. In the race I never got that far before I found the armco. More to work on...

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 10 March 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#10 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

hello drivers.
   a very "complicate" track and  especially if at the start we didn't have space between the cars,
  the turn 1 was a complicate, because some cars brake before and cause a small blows, I'm a victim of that and loose 3 places for that, but reiterate, was because of such a tight start.
    I can still runing after that incident and I think I have some fault in that, because, I need to take the turn over the grass, and if I want to return to track, tristan make a strong evation for avoid to hit me, and start a big incident in that turn.......
   I can still runing  ( 3 places before) and just concentrate  for end the race because this track it's are very dangerous, and a litlle mistake you are out.....
   I made more than 4 mistakes  ( 1 bigger)  but I was able to race welll.
  end in 5 place for me is wonderfull, specially in this " hell" track,
  congrats dutch drivers for the 3 places in podium....you'rs guys are impossible catch, but i'm working in that....... :BoomSmilie_anim:
    :Flush:
    congrats my teamy mikele, for that recovery, start in last position ( for problems whit freeze) and end the race in 7 place, great job teamyy.
   cya next race.....A race for humans, because, last  3 races are for " suicide drivers" :bigsmile:
  cheers and thanks for all
Posted Image[img

#11 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:51 AM

Thank you guys!

This was a very good race for me although i did it a bit easy trying to avoid any mistakes.
Qualify was not so easy as it looks like because its very easy to make a mistake and blowing an engine.
First i want to set a reasonable lap and go from there a bit faster each lap.
Exualy i was also waiting for Rob his times but it didnt happen till the last 5 minutes.
Rob sorry to hear that you hade problems with your monitor, that sucks!
I was very happy with my 1st place on the grid :)
The start was good from my few but unfortunately didnt know about the big mess out of T1.
In the race i slow down a bit where it was possible so i can keep an eye on my concentration especially in the mid part of the track.
Let that be the part where Rob was exualy flying, he was really fast there in the Brab.
All the race long i keep an eye on his times and the gap between me and Rob.
I knew that i hade the speed and i try to gain some tenths on the long straights that i was losing in the mid part.
Finished 1st and i am very happy with it for my team for a good race and for a good battle with Rob.

Grats Rob and Yannick for there podium, and all finishers!

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:59 AM

Well controlled win Roy, everytime when I started to push more you had some reserves. ;) I might have to take a faster car in order to beat you in the Lotus, because with the Brabham it ain't going to happen...

On a side note have been hotlapping a bit here, and surprisingly bettered the Eagle WR to 1m57.45s last night. Since it's a older add-on track, it must be one of my better WR's. I know it must sound tiring, but I'm still improving...

:nopity:

This is what my amigo Enrique thinks of it :D

Attached File  20161208_153214.jpg   167.84K   15 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 11 March 2019 - 08:10 AM.

#13 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

I didn't have much of a race, so I have little to report. The mistake I made entering the "tunnel" before Conrod Straight was one that I made several times during the first week of training, but not in the second. So I thought I had mastered the corner. But all it takes is one moment of inattention ... and that was the end of my race. Extremely disappointing, as truth be told I did not expect to qualify as high as 4th, especially with a time >4/10s off my PB. I don't know whether I could have stayed with Yannick, but the potential for a decent day was there. But I blew it on Lap 1.

Congratulations to all finishers. Tough track. See you in East London.

Michael

#14 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 11 March 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Well controlled win Roy, everytime when I started to push more you had some reserves. ;) I might have to take a faster car in order to beat you in the Lotus, because with the Brabham it ain't going to happen...

On a side note have been hotlapping a bit here, and surprisingly bettered the Eagle WR to 1m57.45s last night. Since it's a older add-on track, it must be one of my better WR's. I know it must sound tiring, but I'm still improving...

:nopity:

This is what my amigo Enrique thinks of it :D

Attachment 20161208_153214.jpg

1.57 ?? Amazing Robert you are from another planet !!!

Edited by Miguel Palud, 11 March 2019 - 08:50 AM.

#15 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

That's a hell of a time, only Riekkinen is within a second of it! Very hot! I'm not surprised by Enrique's picture :rockon:! Hehe, the violin :alien:

Messed up in Q, had some other business to attend to just before qualifying went live (someone coming to look at my dad's records.. he only took 3 Yardbirds records in the end.. quote "these records could be worth £1k+, some rare picks in there, but they have literally been played to death.."), and I dropped my fastest lap, again, in the last five minutes, this time in the last corner.

However, this meant I would start lower on the grid than where any choke point was likely to be, rather than 'in the thick of it' or possibly in front. So, I knew it would be a tight start upon seeing the grid, and when the collisions started on T1 exit, I followed Carlos to the left side grass - we both made it through in a Dixon Portland 2018-like fashion!

After that, I knew Ed was out and wanted to finish for the team. Despite this, I tried to overtake Enrique once when he made a mistake where Michael went out on T1, but he was braver on the brakes than me into the last corner and after that he began to pull away. Carlos eventually did too, both had good pace in the Ferrari. Miguel passed me into T1, but then spun coming through the dipper, and would battle John behind and try to catch me for the rest of the race, which he almost did.

All in all, a solid result, but being generally quite poor here, even with a better qualifying and car it's likely I would have been 'in the thick of it' anyway :thumbup: :yin-yang:
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#16 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:33 AM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 11 March 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

That's a hell of a time, only Riekkinen is within a second of it! Very hot! I'm not surprised by Enrique's picture :rockon:! Hehe, the violin :alien:

Messed up in Q, had some other business to attend to just before qualifying went live (someone coming to look at my dad's records.. he only took 3 Yardbirds records in the end.. quote "these records could be worth £1k+, some rare picks in there, but they have literally been played to death.."), and I dropped my fastest lap, again, in the last five minutes, this time in the last corner.

However, this meant I would start lower on the grid than where any choke point was likely to be, rather than 'in the thick of it' or possibly in front. So, I knew it would be a tight start upon seeing the grid, and when the collisions started on T1 exit, I followed Carlos to the left side grass - we both made it through in a Dixon Portland 2018-like fashion!

After that, I knew Ed was out and wanted to finish for the team. Despite this, I tried to overtake Enrique once when he made a mistake where Michael went out on T1, but he was braver on the brakes than me into the last corner and after that he began to pull away. Carlos eventually did too, both had good pace in the Ferrari. Miguel passed me into T1, but then spun coming through the dipper, and would battle John behind and try to catch me for the rest of the race, which he almost did.

All in all, a solid result, but being generally quite poor here, even with a better qualifying and car it's likely I would have been 'in the thick of it' anyway :thumbup: :yin-yang:
Hello, this was a very tough fight against you, in the advance maneuver on t1, my intention was not to overtake, but before braking I leave your race line to avoid colliding if I made an error while braking, at that moment Begin to get up to par, which was incredible was the best way to learn. with pilots so experienced. Then I gave myself the position very well because you got ahead 5 corners ahead of me jejejej, and it was fortunate that an accident with my error was not caused, I hope to continue fighting so the next races

#17 Carlos Cendejas

Carlos Cendejas

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:13 AM

Hola everyone!

Dont know what to make of this race. 1st i got lucky at T1 by been able to apply a "Dixon Portland 2018" according to Iestyn. :)

With 5 laps to go i was running 7th when i hit the right wall at the end of "The cutting" and got stock. I had to do the revers thing and almost hit Iestyn while doing it. Sorry Iestyn, lost too much time there. When i finally got the car on 1st gear and ready to go, i start moving forward, but when I changed to 2nd gear and punch it (too fast i think) the Ferrari just spun and back left wheel hit the... hit the...mmmm... i would not know how to explain this part of track. :Oo:  

Anyway, if you see the replay, you will see what a stupid way to end my race, specially with 5 laps to go.

If you do see the replay, Do you think you can tell me how would you say it? :blush2:

Grats to Roy, Roberto & Yannick

Cheers to all!!
Salud a todos!!!
:beerchug:

Edited by Carlos Cendejas, 17 March 2019 - 02:24 AM.

#18 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

Carlos.. that in english would be 'embankment' to me ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#19 Carlos Cendejas

Carlos Cendejas

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on 17 March 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Carlos.. that in english would be 'embankment' to me ~

Gracias Bo! :)

So, it should be... "When i finally got the car on 1st gear and ready to go, i start moving forward, but when I changed to 2nd gear and punch it (too fast i think) the Ferrari just spun and back left wheel hit the embankment and end up upside down"?

Yes or no will do. I know this is GPL and not english lessons.   :cowboy:

Thanks again.

Edited by Carlos Cendejas, 17 March 2019 - 11:21 PM.

#20 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

yes :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

Sim Racing Links