Clermont-Ferrand

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Video making, 3D printing, movies, games, books...

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

Seriously! who the fuck choose this track?

This track is only good for the 1965 cars and the rally cars!

Qualified P2! And still manage to fuch it up on the 1st and 2 lap...

Because it takes more effort to stay on the track... than to race on it!

At least my pedals worked this time.. but now the webcams didn't record... ffs

Edited by MK3424, 23 May 2020 - 09:13 AM.

"Last of the late brakers"
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

i would think it less  a track issue if one just focuses on staying on it, rather than going balls out on lap 1-2 ;)

but ~ at least you don't have a pc that for random reasons, at random times saluted you with a BSoD.. again.
i could just weep.
even the techies don't know exactly what the problem is. my wife said "time to get  a new PC".. sure, easy.. but!
soundcard?  all plugin's?  what if its the HD?
there just doesn't seem a bulls-eye REASON for them... all the error codes vary~
so disheartening.

oh.. the race.. a PB in qually.. got me 8th on grid - yay!
with Kayo and Alain out, i was in p6 when - THIS HAPPENS
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:36 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 23 May 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

i would think it less  a track issue if one just focuses on staying on it, rather than going balls out on lap 1-2 ;)

but ~ at least you don't have a pc that for random reasons, at random times saluted you with a BSoD.. again.
i could just weep.
even the techies don't know exactly what the problem is. my wife said "time to get  a new PC".. sure, easy.. but!
there just doesn't seem a bulls-eye REASON for them... all the error codes vary~
so disheartening.

Oh no... not BSoD...

I just build my pc...

I think it's a bit overkill...

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor
G.Skill DDR4 Aegis 2x8GB 3000Mhz
EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra
INNO3D GTX 1050 TI (PhysX and video encoding card)
And lots of storage....

But hey! I found the issue: power and interference... USB extension was too long to power all the peripherals.. so that in combination with interference (Ferrite cores are ordered) it would lead to powerspikes...

I resolved the power issue by providing power to the first USB Hub and i removed some wireless devices that weren't needed.

#4 Don Dodge

Don Dodge

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

Made a mistake while being lapped.  Couldn't get back on the road.  Bummer!

#5 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

Very hard place to let lappers by. I was afraid lappers would be the end of my day. You got to give us time. It was a racing incident, but please. I know you were being chased. Give me a chance.  Glad you were able to continue.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#6 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:00 AM

Qualified 3rd, started well following Kayo, in the second lap Kayo was a bit wide in the T2R, so I was able to take the second place. Up to 5 laps to go, when I made a little mistakeand I was upsidedown.
That's shame  :( Very sorry for the team. Looking forward to do better in the second half
Happy Summer break Guys
Ciao
Rob

#7 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

That was brilliant! I am looking into a bright future. :yeah:
The only thing that bothers me... I am not sure if I finished the race??? The fun was suddenly over :yu:
Congrats to everybody who mastered this demanding challenge :beerchug:

#8 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:38 AM

Couldn't be more pleased with my race and my finish.  No Damage $$$(on my copy of the replay). Great battle with Rudolf.   Sorry to see you go, well maybe not really :whistling: . This is the third oAo race here where I have finished.  I love doing solo laps here, but I was very worried about driving in race traffic.   After seeing Michael and Doni blow BRM engines last week I changed my gears. But I was worried.   Now if only I could finish a race at that silly track in Germany.

Edited by bobho-in, 23 May 2020 - 10:53 AM.

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#9 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:38 AM

Anyways.. video is up although OBS was acting up.. so no webcam feed..

https://www.youtube....h?v=HFRdR8tEf1E

#10 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

...that was really good fun Bob :) (as long as it lasteted). You were doing very very well and I was definetely on the edge when I tried to follow you. It is always interesting to watch where one or the other can go quicker. Especially on the fast climb you always left me in the dust. Looking forward for future battles :)

#11 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

What a fabulous track! It's great dancing with the car from corner to corner. Kudos to the track selectors. Commiserations to Kayo and also to Roberto, I think we would have had a close fight all race.

#12 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

I had the hardest time trying to learn this track. It is a remorseless, unforgiving place where every error is punished immediately and painfully. This place, like Dundrod or the Ring, truly separates the sheep from the goats. I took me a week to get below 3:30, but then I started turning out PBs every day, eventually turning a 3:20.3 the other day online in the Cooper. My trouble was that although I could get a fast lap, I couldn't get through 18 in a row. It wasn't until just two days ago that I finally completed a session without significant problems.

My qualifying was disastrous. The wheel almost came off the desk as I was coming over the apex at Le Charade and I ended up losing a wheel before I could recover. I went out at the 5:00 minute mark and managed a 3:28.89, putting me 12th on the grid. I thought I'd be in the top six, maybe the top four, but Clermont can teach you dramatic lessons about expectations. I got through the first eight laps, never feeling very comfortable, all the while having Tim and Ronnie pressing me like a cheap suit. I lost it again coming over the top at Le Charade, a near identical replay of my rotten qualifying lap and that was the end of that.

Congratulations to all finishers, D1 and D2, for mastering one of the toughest tracks I've ever come across in this intensely difficult sim. If you can finish here, you can do anything.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 23 May 2020 - 11:07 AM.

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

I had a decent Q time which put me 4th on the grid. I was just hoping to have as few ahead of me as possible to avoid any crashes, although everyone seemed pretty well behaved on lap 1.

However, for myself on lap 1, I got squirrelly accelerating out of Belvedere just enough to let Navonne past. From there on I just hounded him as much as possible. There was no way I could get past on the straight after turn 1 in my Cooper versus his Lotus, but I kept hoping that I could pressure him into a mistake since we were pretty equal in our laptimes.

On lap 11, Navonne and Busch came together and “I put my foot down. Hard!” I felt a bit bad, but these things happen to me too. Luckily Navonne could continue, but 15 seconds down now. It was great trying to harass Navonne for the 10 or so laps that it lasted.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And a public service announcement, for anyone who isn’t aware of it, you can see where all the dangerous shoulders are located at Clermont if you look at the track map in GPLRA. They appear as dark green at the track edge. Some apexes are safe and others are to be avoided.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#14 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:07 PM

The most difficult thing about racing at Clermont is the reduced sight lines.  That, and the fact that if you put a wheel wrong, you're likely to be flipped on your head or drive off the side of a mountain.  Apart from that, it's a piece of piss...

In practice, I'd just dipped below 3.22, but today that still wouldn't have been that competitive. I worked out that 4 gallons was my qualy fuel load. 1st lap wasted, 2nd lap tyres not up to temp, 3rd lap - the one! 4th lap, only if I cocked up the 3rd lap.

Into qualy, I'm second out, behind brother Pepe. L2, I crest the rise after T3, and Pepe is on his side, across the track, with 3 wheels on his car. I cannot avoid him, and it's a heavy shunt. Somehow I land on my wheels, but the car feels damaged. My qualy plan is now shot to shit  Lap 2 is a write-off. Lap 3, 3.25 and only good enough for 10th. Starting 10th here would be a nightmare. Lap 4 is 3.24. I have just enough fuel left to get back to the pits. I have just enough time to do 3 more laps before the chequered flag comes out. Go!!  Lap 3, I scrape a low 3.23... and that's still 10th.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I get really hot when I'm racing. And on a day like today, after qualy I will strip off to just boxer shorts and socks for the race (try not to think of it). But I'm the last one qualifying - everyone's waiting on me. No sooner have I stopped, than the start sequence happens, and I'm cooking. Shit!! I desperately strip off my trousers and t-shirt, and join the grid with 10 secs to go.

I'm on the outside of T1, and I lose a place straight away. Coming to the sharp bends on L2, a car suddenly appears out of nowhere, and I hit it. From the replay, I see it is Kayo, sliding back onto the track. Sorry, I could not avoid you. Pepe and Alex pass me whilst I try to get going again.

A lap later, Pepe returns to the track from a Moses-like mountain top experience, right in front of me, and for the next 5 laps, we race nose to tail. There's no chance of taking him unless he makes a mistake. I pile on the pressure, and finally he does, so I'm up into 10th.  Within half a lap, I'm on Tim's tail, and for the next 7 laps we race nose to tail again.

On lap 15, we come around a tight bend 3/4 of the way around the lap, and I clip Niky who is at 90 degrees to the track, trying to recover from a spin. I slither off the track, and can't get back on, due to a great lip. I rev it to the max, and finally get back on track. I'm surprised the engine didn't blow.

That's the end of any hopes of improvement, and I finish 8th.

#15 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:21 PM

Hi guys, well this has been a problem track for me right from the start, never even tried it before two weeks ago, 11th on the grid was pretty much as well as I could expect, and could have been a lot worse, was it Ronnie I got before turn one? must have been, he must be cursing low flying Brabhams, and Cooper's half on and half off the track! both of which I managed to avoid by the skin of the Brabham's body shell, during the race Ronnie had the misfortune of having to follow a much slower driver, who was for 6 laps holding him up, ME, But to his credit, he never once tried a risky overtake, but hay, that's racing.

so halfway house, must say I'm looking forward to the second half of this season much more than I was the first, Famous last words.

Have a good break guys,   Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 23 May 2020 - 01:29 PM.

#16 Peter Lohmar

Peter Lohmar

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

Tim, Marcos & I spent a lot of time exchanging setup information in the weeks leading up to this race, and we (mostly Tim) eventually came up with something like "Repco Go-Kart." A bit hard to turn initially, but the back of the car stayed stuck down and it really helped keep me out of trouble.

During the race gaps opened up early ahead and behind, so like a good bike rider got down on the drops and just time trialed.

I mentioned to Bob Simpson two things went through my mind all during the race, (1) are my finger nails strong enough to hang onto this thing and (2) who is that pretty lady in the yellow dress who keeps showing up at the side of the road?

#17 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

i could just weep.
so disheartening.

You got two options, either the machine fails on you and you have to scramble to get another one running, or you retire the PC and have a well sorted migration of all the stuff to the new one. Having done both imo the latter is the better one.

As far as the immediate BSODs are concerned if a fresh OS install wont fix them it's probably the hardware that's on the fritz. With a seemingly random set of error codes I'd guess it's the motherboard, which really means you may just get a new PC if you replace that one.

Edited by Michkov, 23 May 2020 - 02:42 PM.

I just wanna race

#18 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

i could just weep.
so disheartening.

With all the different error messages, it's probably a bad MB.  Six weeks ago I fried my MB. I ended up buying a new MB, a Ryzen 5, Memory and a power supply for about $350.00 American.
I just plugged in all my HD's and it fired right up. I had to re verify my Windows 10 install, but that was easy peasy.

https://pcpartpicker.com/
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#19 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:45 PM

thanks ZZ........ the techies are telling me they'd start with a reinstall of win10.. but the nightmare of reinstalling everything i have?  ohhhh no...  i don't even know what all is associated anymore :o
i'd prefer the MB route... even new RAM and see if that addresses the BSoD's... the power is a 650watt (?)  so i think i'm good there -  but the CPU is outdated ... only INTEL core 3.2gHz
current RAM is 8GB - i asked about adding another 8 but the techie said for what i do, it would be a waste.  gotta believe a techie when they tell you and their turning down a sell :o
it just drives me to the edge in its randomness... i've been practicing online for a couple hours after the race - no prob's.. i can even have NOTHING running, but away from the PC and it will BSoD :P
its not overheating ( i clean the inside regularly).  its the error messages themselves that are inconsistent... IRQL less than not equal... or Memory Management error... or security check failure.... sometimes repeated, but again - random.
i'll take it in next week and let them upgrade my hardware ($$$)  :(
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#20 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Wait, no reinstall of anything ZZ? That seems unlikely, than again I never had to reinstall Win10.

I'd assume that changing the MB will require a reinstall of Windows and most of the software. Which is a good idea anyway imo. Keep in mind that you'll have to get a new CPU, new RAM too, since the CPU wont be compatible with a modern one and the RAM neither. PSU you can keep, HD too if it's not too old.

In the meantime run chkdskand see if it finds something
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links