Show Us Your Rig/cockpit

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Kozak

Robert Kozak

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Other than being really cool, do you guys think your really nice rigs make you any faster?  I ask because I've been racing while sitting in a chair with wheels, and my steering wheel has been clamped to a keyboard tray on the desk which slides in and out and moves a lot from side to side.  It's not really locked in place.  I imagine a properly configured setup would probably help at least a little bit with performance.
Posted Image

#22 Chris

Chris

• GPLVOR
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

I can say without a doubt it's made me significantly faster.  Having a top quality set of pedals, and having them mounted in a way that is both ergonomically correct as well as rock solid means I have far more control over the car.  I can wrench my wheel from side to side with no fear of it coming dislodged, and mash my brake pedal as hard as the one in my real car and not worry about it sliding out from under my feet.
Chris Chappell

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

I agree with Chris's comments
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 JETninja

JETninja

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

I can only agree with Bruce & Chris. I go to great lengths to make mine solid. I found placing some foam (about the size of a sheet of paper and maybe 1/4" thick) under my wheel keeps it from moving when clamped down. I also placed some wood behind the pedals to move them closer to me and keep them stable. My chair is a tall office chair with wheels, and it sits on a large piece of carpet. I have to orient all the wheels outward, and place the wifes old Sewing Machine (a bit heavy unit from the 70's) behind the chair to keep it from moving backwards when I brake. I did the squash ball mod to my pedals, so it takes a bit of pressure. Momo Force (the old red one)

Someday a real pit will happen, but for now I have to make do.
John Tami

The Alfa of Andrea de Cesaris - one of the most feared chicanes in the mid-80s.

[Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 John Basara

John Basara

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

View PostJETninja, on Mar 13 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

My chair is a tall office chair with wheels, and it sits on a large piece of carpet. I have to orient all the wheels outward, and place the wifes old Sewing Machine (a bit heavy unit from the 70's) behind the chair to keep it from moving backwards when I brake.
I had to special order a chair WITHOUT wheels and armrests from Office Depot because nobody seems to have any interest in such things.  It was almost silly to have to special order a chair that ended up costing $35 :)

John
Posted Image

#26 Tyler

Tyler

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

I had the same problem and came up with this from stuff around the house...

Posted Image

It's not the prettiest contraption but it works and I don't ever need look at it :)

#27 FumUnda

FumUnda

• GPLVOR
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Here's my humble rig. Just got the PlaySeat Saturday ... 6 hour drive to get it and worth every mile. Never imagined theyd be this comfortable and ergonomic to be honest.

I'm ordering the G25 shifter and keyboard add-ons and I'll be good to go, so for the time being I'm using the DFP.

Attached Files

-Bill Robotham

Posted Image

#28 Randy Lange

Randy Lange

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

View PostChris, on Mar 13 2009, 02:08 PM, said:

I can say without a doubt it's made me significantly faster.  Having a top quality set of pedals, and having them mounted in a way that is both ergonomically correct as well as rock solid means I have far more control over the car.  I can wrench my wheel from side to side with no fear of it coming dislodged, and mash my brake pedal as hard as the one in my real car and not worry about it sliding out from under my feet.

I agree with Chris.
It makes you more comfortable while racing which will make the longer races much easier. One of my older cockpits had a tiedown strap hooked to a board that my pedals were fastened to, then wrapped around the center post of the office chair just to keep it from moving while braking. So as you can see everyone has to start somewhere.

#29 Ionicplague

Ionicplague

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

View PostFumUnda, on Mar 16 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Here's my humble rig. Just got the PlaySeat Saturday ... 6 hour drive to get it and worth every mile. Never imagined theyd be this comfortable and ergonomic to be honest.

Hey Bill,

I've been looking at the Playseats for awhile now, I just don't know if I'd like them or not compared to maybe something I may build myself. I wanted to know how you liked it, you mentioned it was comfortable (something I've read in most all of the reviews, so I'm not worried about that). But the main thing I was wondering was how the steering wheel position? I personally like my wheel about 10-12 inches from my chest and I'm afraid that the distance and height of the wheel are not going to match my liking. The other thing I'm curious about is how do you like having that bar between your legs/knees? I'm planing on getting a G25 someday and it looks like it might be a bit clumbersome with that bar there...

Thanks,

Jake W.
- Jake Witcher -

"...I made a jut to the left." - Garth Buchanan

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 FumUnda

FumUnda

• GPLVOR
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

View PostIonicplague, on Mar 16 2009, 03:21 PM, said:

Hey Bill,

I've been looking at the Playseats for awhile now, I just don't know if I'd like them or not compared to maybe something I may build myself. I wanted to know how you liked it, you mentioned it was comfortable (something I've read in most all of the reviews, so I'm not worried about that). But the main thing I was wondering was how the steering wheel position? I personally like my wheel about 10-12 inches from my chest and I'm afraid that the distance and height of the wheel are not going to match my liking. The other thing I'm curious about is how do you like having that bar between your legs/knees? I'm planing on getting a G25 someday and it looks like it might be a bit clumbersome with that bar there...

Thanks,

Jake W.

Jake,
The steering wheel and pedals are both adjustable. It claims to be adjustable for anywhere from 8 year-olds and up, but my 6 year old is fine as long as he has a pillow behind him; if that helps at all. I'm about 6'2" and I feel totally relaxed and naturally postured, I wish I could be more descriptive for you. It's worth the money, IMO, and would also recommed you get the Evolution if you're considering buying one, it's higher quality that it easily noticeable and I too heard about the middle bar possibly being a nuisance, but as of now, don't understand how it could be unless you're using your right foot for the clutch. I can right-foot brake with out even noticing the wheel post, but will confirm for sure when I slap on the G25 pedals tonight.

Best of all though, being able to play on the big screen does not suck in the least.

-Bill
-Bill Robotham

Posted Image

#31 Jerry Daniels

Jerry Daniels

Jerry Daniels

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

I've been using the playseat since my old PS3 days of TOCA...works like a charm...I use 2 pillows under me, as my porsche wheel is taller than the others, but w/ that I can easily do 3-4 hrs w/ no butt issues...my shoulders give out before the old rump does...

#32 Scotty B

Scotty B

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

View PostChris, on Mar 13 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

LOL My newest issue is my chair.  I use a computer chair(on wheels) and since i moved it's on a harder carpet.  Well sometimes in hard braking situations, i find my chair moves backwards.  Been really putting me in think mode.  Think of some kind of rig that is good on space, cheap, and actually serves a purpose.  I really enjoy seeing what all you guys do.  Your rigs are awesome.  Very nice work.
Scott Berube
Talon Racing
#78 LMP1 Samuel Adams Lola
#78 GT1  Samuel Adams Aston Martin DBR9

#33 GAb

GAb

• GPLVOR
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostScotty B, on Mar 16 2009, 05:05 PM, said:

LOL My newest issue is my chair.  I use a computer chair(on wheels) and since i moved it's on a harder carpet.  Well sometimes in hard braking situations, i find my chair moves backwards.  Been really putting me in think mode.  Think of some kind of rig that is good on space, cheap, and actually serves a purpose.  I really enjoy seeing what all you guys do.  Your rigs are awesome.  Very nice work.

I've got this idea with mine. I have built myself a pedal box so I could invert my G25 pedals. I'm thinking of putting a screw hook on teh bottom of the raised floor for my feet, and finding an afjustable strp to sling around the hook and one of the wheels. Keep my chair glued to the pedals.
Garth Buchanan

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 JETninja

JETninja

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

View PostFumUnda, on Mar 16 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

Jake,
The steering wheel and pedals are both adjustable. It claims to be adjustable for anywhere from 8 year-olds and up, but my 6 year old is fine as long as he has a pillow behind him; if that helps at all. I'm about 6'2" and I feel totally relaxed and naturally postured, I wish I could be more descriptive for you. It's worth the money, IMO, and would also recommed you get the Evolution if you're considering buying one, it's higher quality that it easily noticeable and I too heard about the middle bar possibly being a nuisance, but as of now, don't understand how it could be unless you're using your right foot for the clutch. I can right-foot brake with out even noticing the wheel post, but will confirm for sure when I slap on the G25 pedals tonight.

Best of all though, being able to play on the big screen does not suck in the least.

-Bill

Like your TV, I have a 61" JVC LcOS 1080P set, love it. Would love to game off it someday.....besides PS3 stuff.....

What do those Playseats run? Looks pretty compact.
John Tami

#35 FumUnda

FumUnda

• GPLVOR
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

View PostJETninja, on Mar 16 2009, 10:08 PM, said:

Like your TV, I have a 61" JVC LcOS 1080P set, love it. Would love to game off it someday.....besides PS3 stuff.....

What do those Playseats run? Looks pretty compact.

I paid $300 for the PlaySeat and DFP. New, they run about $300 to $350 plus shipping. I figure I should be able to get $50 for the DFP once the G25 shifter accessory comes in and I can use that and won't need the DFP.

Hope that helps.
-Bill Robotham

Posted Image

#36 Jimmi Allison

Jimmi Allison

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

yeah, got a office chair with wheels and G25 pedals thats not 100% safe on the floor, might move just a tiny bit. The chair is the weakest link her. I´ve been looking at those playsets for some time now, thats the next thing i´m gonna buy, thats for sure.
And damn i want one of those touch screens Bruce and Chris has, looks amazing..
Jimmi Allison
US Pits Racing

#37 JETninja

JETninja

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

View PostFumUnda, on Mar 17 2009, 09:23 AM, said:

I paid $300 for the PlaySeat and DFP. New, they run about $300 to $350 plus shipping. I figure I should be able to get $50 for the DFP once the G25 shifter accessory comes in and I can use that and won't need the DFP.

Hope that helps.

Can you get them without the DFP? I'm plenty happy with my Momo Forces (got 3..lol) till I can swing a G25 someday....
John Tami

#38 Ionicplague

Ionicplague

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yes John you can get them without the wheel.

Amazon.com carries them and offer Free "snail" shipping for $300. For something alittle faster your looking at least 50 bucks on shipping.

Jake W.
- Jake Witcher -

"...I made a jut to the left." - Garth Buchanan

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Randy Lange

Randy Lange

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

View PostScotty B, on Mar 16 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

Scotty

Are your pedals mounted on a board? If so use a ratchet strap that you should be able to get for $5.00ea. anywhere and hook it to a eye bolt that you mount on the board then wrap it around the post on your chair. a strap with a ratchet would be nice then you can just ratchet your chair up close to your wheel. Then your chair and pedals are one.

#40 FumUnda

FumUnda

• GPLVOR
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

View PostJETninja, on Mar 17 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

Can you get them without the DFP? I'm plenty happy with my Momo Forces (got 3..lol) till I can swing a G25 someday....

Mine was a craigslist deal that included the DFP. ebay has lots of them for sale as well.

-Bill
-Bill Robotham

Posted Image

Sim Racing Links