Gears And Stuff

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Javelin

Javelin

• ADC
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boat builder (ex Lotus employee 10 years)

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:40 AM

On a slightly different tack,

I've got Gem+ 2 and IGOR installed but I notice there is a vroc program.
Do I need this as well?

Btw, I have a GPLrank account but as I've only driven on two tracks I guess there is not enough info to produce a rank yet.

Just Like bernd I too had a similar start with GPL and it's only now that I've been motivated enough to give it another shot.
I must say that compared to GTR I find GPL far more immersive and far more rewarding when things occasionally go well.

Its strange that playing a new driving game brings you back to an oldie such as GPL and makes you appreciate it more.

Edited by Javelin, 09 June 2006 - 07:47 AM.

GPL Rank = +45 (bit by bit it's coming down  :)

#22 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

Javelin, on Jun 9 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

On a slightly different tack,

I've got Gem+ 2 and IGOR installed but I notice there is a vroc program.
Do I need this as well?

View Post

Not necessarily Mike and certainly not for ADC races.

However, the VROC and iGOR race lists are completely separate, so a server will either host through VROC or through iGOR (at a given point in time). There's nothing stopping you from running both clients (I do, though most of my racing is done through iGOR); you will then have access to all available servers, but many people (me included) dislike the fracturing of the community that results from having two separate on-line hosting environments.

There are moves afoot to try to consolidate the GPL community exclusively around iGOR, but don't hold your breath, as there are technical issues that need to be addressed to convince some that iGOR is fit for use by all. Take a look here if you are interested:
http://forum.rscnet....ad.php?t=255793

VROC is the original client that everybody used when GPL on-line racing first started. Whilst capable of running all the mods as well as the original 67 cars, the more recently developed iGOR makes that considerably easier.

GPL Rank: Yes, you won't see a rank value until you post at least one time for each track in the rank. You can go in and see the incomplete rank details though, i.e. how you are doing relative to benchmark for the times you have posted.

Yes, I think quite a few of us have had the experience of dropping GPL because it was too difficult, only to re-discover it later. I bought it when it was first released in the UK and struggled on and off before getting diverted by other things. Then I discovered Race Sim Central, then the GPL 65 mod, then GPL Rank and things just kind of went a bit barmy from there :)

GPL may have been beaten in some areas by the newer sims, but as a total package? No way, and with the mods it'll be around for years to come yet.

John.

#23 Javelin

Javelin

• ADC
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

Just to prove that all your combined efforts are reaping results I just put together a string of four 1:30 laps in a row  :wow2:

No buses for ages then four come along at .....................................

Anyway to push my undoubted cheek still further I've added the setup I've been using plus a replay of my best lap so far.

Is it possible to give me a crit of where I'm going wrong.

Cheers
Mike

Attached Files

#24 Javelin

Javelin

• ADC
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

Taken a break from practice and had a go at racing against the ai.

Firstly starting is b****** hard.
Iím finding keeping a straight line off the start line whilst accelerating hard is almost impossible.
Almost got to the stage where I just pull over let them all set off and follow and then pick cars off.
A bit of a downer if you have a good qualifying position.
Also a bit of a worry for me whilst considering my first foray into racing online as I donít want to take anyone out.

And when I have had the rare fortune to be in the top four or five at T1, some berserk ai idiot rams me up the back side.
In fact this seems to be a recurring problem as whenever Iím on the brakes the ai seem to brake far later than I want to.  

The other thing that Iím still having problems with, although not as much, is blowing engines.
Around lap 16 to 20 of the 24 lap race the engine goes up in smoke.
Three races in a row now.

The lotus red lines at 9500 and Iíve been careful to change before 9000 as much as possible and always lift at least half off the throttle when changing gear.

There appears to be no warning of impending engine failure, oil pressure seems ok until the engine has gone bang.
Is there a method or a utility that can give you a warning of potential engine disaster?

#25 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:29 AM

Hi Mike,

I took a look at your replay and setup and compared the lap to my current PB (1:28.746 in the Ferrari). Here are my thoughts, but you really want Bernd's take, as he is far better at this sort of analysis and a much better driver than I. Also, I'm not a great driver of the 67 cars, as I hate their low speed grip deficit. I'm better in the 65 cars (finally achieved negative 65 rank recently after a long, long chase).

Braking: Your braking points are very close to mine and I'd say about right. Relative to a really quick driver, e.g. Greg Stewart the world record holder, we both brake a little early, but people like Greg use special techniques to get away with terminally late braking.

Corner exit speed: You are late to get back on the throttle at Chapel, Club and Abbey. You are losing big chunks of time (half a second) on the straights that follow Chapel and Club. After Abbey you also lose time, but only about 0.2. All three of these corners are hard to master. For Chapel in particular, you need to carry higher speed while still hitting the apex.

Other things I noticed:
- Your fifth gear seems to be too high (revs drop too far when changing up into fifth). You'll lose a little top end acceleration because of that.
- You are over-revving on many upchanges (rev spikes clearly visible in Relap Analyzer). This probably explains why you are getting too many engine blow-ups. Throttle release timing is tricky for up-changes, but will come with more practice. You get it right sometimes, but not often enough yet. The 67 engines are particularly unforgiving in this respect; in the 65s you'll get away with it more. I'm not aware of any utility or other technique to warn of impending engine failure. Also, be aware there is a random element to mechanical failure in GPL (with some cars more trouble-prone than others), but mechanical abuse will definitely increase the chances.

Starting technique: Yes, it is not easy to maintain control in the 67s (much easier in 65s). But, assuming you are not using too many revs, some rapid steering corrections will be needed to maintain control. There's a thread on starting technique that's worth reading:
http://forums.speedg...showtopic=18291

AI: Some of the AI drivers, e.g. Surtees, are more aggressive than the others and more prone to arse-ramming. There's quite a lot of tweaking that can be done with the AI, but it's quite an involved subject. I can give you a useful link for that if you're interested. Personally, I feel you are better off going into real races, once you are basically happy with your driving and (even more importantly) have learned the track you wish to race on. I did quite a few pick-up races before I ran my first ADC race. To begin with I used to deliberately start from the back of the pack until I became more comfortable with racing. I was petrified in my first races (could barely hold the throttle steady), but soon overcame that.

BTW: I saw your server on-line in iGOR last night and tried to connect several times. Kept getting the 10054 network device error though. You might want to go search the RSC GPL forums on that error number. Plenty of weird and wonderful theories on possible causes, but few solutions, unfortunately.

See you on track sometime.

John.

P.S. Congrats on beating the Silverstone benchmark! :clap:

#26 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

This is another very useful resource when learning the original Papyrus tracks:
http://lor.rscsites.org/index.shtml

#27 Javelin

Javelin

• ADC
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Thanks John,

That last link was/is very useful, time now down to 1:29.83  :)

I had a go at hosting but as you saw, it was not stupendously successful.
The thread is as clear as mud in terms of how to fix it.

In truth I didnít want to host at all, all I wanted to do was join in a practice session and actually drive a GPL car against a human, as Iíve not had the pleasure yet.
Trouble is there seems to be very little to join in with, or is it just that my timing is bad?

I found that GTR played differently, subtle but different all the same and I wanted to see if thatís also the case with GPL.
Didnít want to do all this practice at Silv and turn up in a few days time to go online for the first time in order to follow you guys round only to find I have not clicked a few buttons with firewalls, routers, ATI graphics etc.

I did notice for the brief time I was hosting my very private (not intentional) gpl session that some of my setups were missing and the wheel had to be recalibrated.

Cheers
Mike

#28 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

Hi Mike,

Yeah, those guides are very useful. Congrats on the 1:29.83, you'll beat my PB before much longer I suspect :)

iGOR activity varies, but you'll usually find a reasonable amount at weekends. This weekend is quieter than normal... World Cup I guess. Generally, most iGOR activity is with the 69 cars, followed by 65s. You do see 67 races from time to time, but there are often none. For 67 action, you are best off trying to get that through VROC; at least for now, there is far more 67 activity there.

Hmmm, not sure why your setups were missing, assuming you were running your normal player (Player Profile drop down in the iGOR Join Race dialogue). But, yes I have in the past (with Momo Racing) had calibration loss when on-line, but not since switching to my current rig (ECCI).

John.

#29 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Albino

• Admin
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:32 AM

I found GPL online is easy Mike. Yes, make sure that you have the right player profile selected while joining a race via iGOR.
After that you can only join the qualify session not later when the race has started.
In qualify session give people a sign that you leave the pits by typing 'PO'
A good tip with say 5 minutes to go in practise is to check your setup settings and maybe leave the pits shortly. After the session is over don't make very late adjustments as it's possible that GPL will do strange things with the setup (I had more then one time that I had only qualifying fuel dirung the race which resulted in to many shift-r pitstops :D)

As for online activity. It's a shame but there's not much on open servers. Most are in leagues/clubs today.

And  :clap: for your silverstone time  :)
ADC FAQ
Bob Simpsons FAQ
Duisburg Ruhrort, Germany

Sim Racing Links