• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,317 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:29 AM

Already had a screenfreeze in quali, which didn't bode well. Even so, just missed out on the verified F312 WR by 1/1000s :D Just a little twitch in s3 that did cost about half a tenth or so...still great to have Pole, but...

As often, messed up the start again and lost the lead to Roy. That said, Roy had a great start and dared to go around the outside at T1. First laps Roy was struggling, probably due to low tirepressures. Yannick stayed close when I wasn't able to make a move. Then stayed close with Roy first half of the race, kept him honest and tried to apply more pressure after halfway. Just when I started to push more and had closed up, got a screenfreeze, like Roy, Michiel and Marcos.

What a shame, this had everything to become a great fight towards the end of the race. I had belief I could challenge Roy at some point, for the lead.  That said, the balance started to get more oversteery when pushing more on the exits, also when the fuel burnt off, which changes the center of gravity more to the rear actually.

Cruel luck Roy, and Michiel and Marcos.

Grats to Iestyn for the win, good effort Yannick who came close to his first win. Also well done to Frank completing the podium! :) Well done finishers, bad luck DNFs, especially those who suffered from the multi-screenfreeze...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 March 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Killer-Miele

Killer-Miele

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

hallo racer

this race was not a good race

i was behind enrique in ferrari and i see that i can drive faster
michael was behind me and he is coming
at the last corner i was on the inside
i dont want ouvertake enrique
but braking on the inside is not the same like on the groove
i hit enrique , and i was realy unhappy
sorry enrique i dont like this way to ouvertake
i lost the car

bye miele

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Good start, made up two places on the way to the ocean, hung onto Michiel for a bit until a spin led Ed past. About 10 laps in the engine starts to cough heading into the final turn, completed the lap I was on and parked the car. That's three out four races DNFed :(
I just wanna race

#4 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

Awesome race Iestyn P1 :clap3: Go HMR :beerchug:  

Steady at the start, two coopers went bye only to watch them spin in front of me a few laps later ,so I got those two spots back.
So plain sailing in 9th with a kept gap to the guy in front and behind. UNTIL lap 15 approaching the heavy braking area at turn 3
I had a big internet lag hit ! next thing a know I am on the grass doing 168 mph :oh: Did everything I could to slow it down, Hit
the back fence pretty hard and bounce off, so I took off and to my surprize the car felt fine I did hit it straight on. Little did I know
the car suffered fair bit of damage (Sorry team), rear right and engine. Strangely the car didn't feel that bad I drove another 30 laps and got 6th.

I was Lucky today, not so for the 4 guys that had a disco and to Mikele who got stuck on the tree at turn3 lap 2. Tough break guys.

#5 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

During qualifying I hadn't even set my car in first gear or I already got launched over the pit box.
Luckily my car landed on it's right side and was able to move on. No damage even!
I had a little difficulty with wheelspin through the slow corners especially. I did a number of tweaks through practice/qualifying.
Eventually I did not fully resolve the problem but I got it pretty tameable.

The battle for P3 was pretty exciting between me, Iestyn and Alboreto. Very impressive pulling off a time this close in a Brabham!
In a final attempt I managed to set a time just between the two and settle with P4. Happy with that.

I got well off the line, got next to Iestyn on the approach of T1, but let him have it as he had the inside.
Instead I positioned myself for Cocabana and have the inside line. This plan was succesful, I got myself into podium position.

Naturally the Fast-Rs would pull away leaving me to fight with Iestyn for position.
I managed to keep him at bay for a while till he spun at the Esses giving me some breathing space.
However, later on I spun at Cocabana myself and wasted the spare time I had.

Midway the race, the two race leaders suddenly disco'd which put me in the position of leading the D1 pack for the first time.
At that point, my heart was racing and my head filled itself with the thought of a victory in D1. The nerve system went full overdrive, and become even more of a threat than Iestyn will be.

Keeping him behind me was no easy task. Iestyn clearly had better pace, though I barely manage to keep him from making a move.
He nearly got me once, but failed to out-brake me, meaning I could maintain the position.

With just four laps to go, it seemed I am going to succeed to maintain that composure, but I lock up at Cocabana and took the wide line, allowing Iestyn to pass and take the checkered flag.

I was livid. I seemed to have it in the bag. But the mistake prevented it from happening.
Rather than be happy about matching my best ever finish in D1, I was very upset, and I expressed that post-race. On-track and at the chat.

This really is was a result I need to take my time to reflect on, though.
Even though I felt extremely disappointed with myself shortly after the race, I think I still drove a really solid race.
Pace-wise I was there, in a relative sense. On consistency I scored pretty good, too. No damage.
And doubled the amount of points in the standings.
I have driver about 1/3 of the race in first, which is something very few achieve. May work favours by the end of the season :)

Overall, looking at the first quarter of the season, things are really going the way I like it to.
Sure, few mishaps, and a very unfortuante moment, but I'll have to be ignorant not to say it is going fantastic so far.
Let's carry this on to Q2, though I must say I should fear for my G-rating :D
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

This kind of track with heavy braking into tight corners will never be one that I do well at. I just qualified and raced well within my ability and counted it as a successful maiden race in D1.

This was the first D1 race where I got past the start line, so to finish with no damage, I considered that a victory. A few of us were lined up behind Doni in the early laps, but though the others could get past, I didn't have the extra speed needed to pass. Doni and I were pretty well matched actually and only a mistake on his part would have provided an opportunity. I made more mistakes though.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

Well the records will show a 7th place finish and I'm really pleased with that but it's tempered by the knowledge that it was only because Roy, Rob and Michiel had freezes. Really unfortunate guys. Roy and Rob appeared to be having a fantastic battle when they came around to lap me. As were Yannick and Iestyn. Fortunately in both cases the passed me on the SF straight so it didn't hinder my meager progress.

Almost didn't make this one. With an hour to go I had all but written off any chance of racing. As it was I got onto the server with around 5 minutes to go, Did an out lap but had to park up on the outside of T1  to attend to an issue . Got to the grid with about 15 seconds to go lining up obviously in last place.

Start was steady and I settled in behind Bob S. Then a Honda - Marcos?? lost it braking for Cocabana taking Dag with him. Bob S braked to avoid getting caught up, I being a bit further behind was able to watch it all unfold and slipped up the inside of Bob. The next 8 laps or so were great, Bob chasing me, Me chasing Andrew and Andrew chasing Doni. I could feel where the Brabham had the edge but it just wasn't anywhere that it was safe to go for a pass. Eventually Andrew spun in the final corner and I was through. Had several really close laps with Doni and I can confirm the Honda isn't short of speed in a straight line. I could see though I did have an advantage out of the hairpins. Showed a wheel a few times into T1 but when the pass actually came it was more by accident than design. I was doing my best to force Doni to take a wide line into T1 in the hope he might put a wheel on the grass but in the end I was too busy glancing across to check his position I missed my braking point Only by a few yards but it was enough. I really didn't think I would make the turn at one point.

From then onwards I was able to use the better acceleration of the Brabham to eek out a gap and even found myself chasing Michiel for a while after he ran wide a few times. But that was always going to be a futile attempt and he just moved away again each time. So from about 2/3 distance I spent my time watching Prib to check on Dag's progress behind and watching out for the leaders.

So points in all races so far. If I can keep this up I'll be a very happy bunny. Next task is to try to finish on the same lap as the leaders. Nurburgring looks a possibility but I can't see it happening anywhere else. you guys at the front are unbelievable.

TTFN
John..
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

Hello all.

My race was slow and inconsistent, even after several days training/setting up. I guess the restriction of no qualifying until the last 5 minutes didn't help and I started the race still "cold".

When I was starting to reach to a reasonable rhythm (was almost in last position) I had the screen freeze mentioned above.

I'm really sorry for a hit I did to another Honda at the first hairpin (I think he was Dag). I felt really bad (rather stupid, actually) but fortunately all my victims could continue racing. However, my apologies for that.

See you in Monacane!!

Marcos
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

Another race to last place for me. It was a little bit different than in previous outings in that I had a decently fast ride (prolly 4/5th best chassis around here) and there were more drivers in crappy cars than in previous races. I took the Honda since it was the shiny new thing in our garage.

Q wasn't so good. I made a mess of T1 and over shot in T3 and the last corner, ending up over a second off PB. On a track with nothing to hit this was a bit disappointing.

I used a setup with tall gearing for some inbuilt reliability and happily had no issue. At the beginning I got boxed in by Dag's start and lost position to Doni and one other that I can't remember. As in Bathurst my lack of start options kept me out of harm's way a little later on in the lap when Marcos lost it. He split the hairpin right between Dag and Doni, most likely where I'd have been. It was unfortunate that Marcos was on my inside, since he had no where to go once he lost it. I've done the same in at least one ADC race.

After that I settled in behind Doni. Those behind me likely could have gone a lot faster but I was actually pretty happy to just get through the first couple of laps without hitting anything. I was also trying to limit my revs and Doni's pace for the first two laps let me do that. After I closed up a bit I was still pretty content just to be racing other cars for once and tried not to do anything too stupid. It didn't take long though before I messed that up. I ran wide or couldn't get on the throttle hard enough coming onto the back straight and John got under me. He braked early and I didn't, but I also locked badly and with him on the inside I couldn't cut to the right for the save. That put me in front of Marcos and the very next lap I did the same mistake in the same corner. I must have lost about 9s all in all but the pace was slow enough that I caught back up to with in 2.5 to Simpson . In the meantime Marcos went off at T5 and so I got that position back.

Somewhere in the mix my wheel came completely off the desk. I managed to do up the left clamp right away but did up the right one without it actually clamping the desk. This lead to a lot of faffing about and plenty of mis-shifts while I sorted it out. I should have slowed down to fix it once, losing time on one lap rather than lots of time on lots of laps, but I didn't do it that way. The wheel itself got cocked to one side as  an added bonus.

With that bit of fun over  I was 15 seconds down on Bob and decided to just fart around.I took some chances that put me on the grass more often than not  and instead of catching up I fell further behind.

It was great to finish, to not hit anything, to get to race others, but it was also pretty disappointing to have decent pace on paper and not do anything with it.

Monocane looks interesting  and is probably a better fit for the BRM . Maybe I'll be able to sample the Honda again when we head to Germany.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 24 March 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#10 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Hey, guys,
  an interesting race, with a good qualy for my teammate and me, unfortunately my teammate, could not get out of his mess with the tree and he had to retire, a pity migue, you were strong in this race. :beerchug:
   My race was stable and with the freezze that there was, it helped me to get to 5,
  I had an incident with killer, which relegated me to 8th place, but as I said, I was able to continue and finish 5.  :bigsmile:
  Don't worry killer, I know you didn't hit my car on purpose, it was brake failure, because I also know you're clean in the races, are incidents, race and as you can happen to you, can also happen to me. we try to drive as clean as possible, but sometimes we fail the accuracy by hundredths of a second and that can not be avoided.
   Fortunately I was able to continue and the damage was minimal, :smilie3:
  I managed to add a few points for our team, and I hope to continue to do more every day, a better performance,
    great job lestyn, now I can say...lestyn "  is back baby" :showoff:
  congrats yanick and killer for the rest of the places in podium :bigglasses:
Posted Image[img

#11 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hi guys, congratulations to the podium, my race was very bad, just at the moment when the car was with ideal tire temperatures, and I started to push the accelerator, I made a stupid mistake, and I'm out of the race, luckily not hurt anyone only my teammates because we will have to use coins to repair my car, to continue training for the next race, see you on track

#12 Killer-Miele

Killer-Miele

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:35 AM

hi enrique

I'm happy and glad you could keep driving.
and also sad that it came to our accident
it's good to know that you saw it the way you did.
It happened-as an incident without intention.
no one should be afraid if I drive next to him
because fair driving and seeing the goal is the most important thing.
thank you for your kind words
frank

#13 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

View PostKiller-Miele, on 25 March 2019 - 05:35 AM, said:

hi enrique

I'm happy and glad you could keep driving.
and also sad that it came to our accident
it's good to know that you saw it the way you did.
It happened-as an incident without intention.
no one should be afraid if I drive next to him
because fair driving and seeing the goal is the most important thing.
thank you for your kind words
frank
Hi killer, stay calm, nobody feels afraid to drive with you, we all know the kind of driver and gentleman you are on track, but the errors in gpl are always present due to the great difficulty of the simulator, keep training as you do , that the results are on track, greetings

#14 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

" I made a mess of T1 and over shot in T3 and the last corner, ending up over a second off PB.

Andrew, did you race in a Honda? Maybe I hit you in T3.  If so, I'm very sorry for that.  As I said above, a stupid mistake from my side...

Cheers, Marcos.

#15 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

I must admit that I am a little disappointed that I did not have more outright speed in the Brabham. I had hoped that my improvement as a driver since we last drove here would be enough to overcome any car deficiencies to approach my Ferrari PB here, but that was not the case. Qualifying, therefore, proved a mixed bag. On the one hand I was pleased to set a Brabham PB of 1:21.79. On the other hand, that time was good enough for only 8th on the grid! So I had my work cut out for me in the race.

In the race itself, I did nothing at all spectacular. I merely drove consistently and took advantage of others' misfortunes. Over the early laps, Enrique, Frank, I, and Michiel ran fairly closely. Then for the final 1/3 of the race I had to fend off Enrique's charging Ferrari -- a task made easier by his mistake with about 10 laps remaining.

After my boneheaded exit in Bathurst, this was a much-needed rebound.

Congratulations to Iestyn for the win.
Congratulations to Yannick on second. Don't be upset by your late mistake. I, too, have lost positions to Iestyn late in races. He is, after all, a past D1 Champion ... and he's showing championship form again.
And congratulations to Frank for standing on the podium. Don't beat yourself up too much over your mistake, either. We know you well -- your reputation is solid. It should be mentioned, too, that Enrique has been a gentleman to so graciously accept your apology. Time to put it behind us, move on, and do better next time.

Congratulations to all finishers, and commiserations to the four of you (Roy, Robert, Michiel, Marcos) who got discoed.

Michael

#16 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

No Marcos, I was the slow Honda you raced from lap 6 or 7 until you discoed. It was fun while it lasted. It was Dag J. you came together with. You both recovered pretty well after T3.

Andrew

#17 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

No worries Marcos , stuff happens in racing and gpl. Car was fine to drive with only slight damage and I finished way above what could be reasonable to expect in a honda anyways so no problems.

Grats Iestyn , Yannick and Frank. Well done. Hats off to Yannick for leading a D1 race for the first time and coming very close to the top step of the podium. Next time..

#18 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:33 PM

Yes, I remember that battle, Andrew! It was very funny.

Dag, good to read that you could continue with the Honda almost in one piece :)

Cheers. Marcos

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,317 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

View PostMGL66, on 25 March 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

I must admit that I am a little disappointed that I did not have more outright speed in the Brabham. I had hoped that my improvement as a driver since we last drove here would be enough to overcome any car deficiencies to approach my Ferrari PB here, but that was not the case. Qualifying, therefore, proved a mixed bag. On the one hand I was pleased to set a Brabham PB of 1:21.79. On the other hand, that time was good enough for only 8th on the grid!

To be fair the Brabham is about 6-7 tenths slower here than the Ferrari, judging WR's and my own PB's. Also the field is getting stronger and stronger, especially in the subtop and midfield.

On a sidenote Miguel (Palud) now does have a better PB here than me in the BT24, there's always room at the top amigo! Keep at it and work on your race consistency ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 26 March 2019 - 06:16 AM.

#20 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:20 AM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 26 March 2019 - 06:04 AM, said:

To be fair the Brabham is about 6-7 tenths slower here than the Ferrari, judging WR's and my own PB's. Also the field is getting stronger and stronger, especially in the subtop and midfield.

On a sidenote Miguel (Palud) now does have a better PB here than me in the BT24, there's always room at the top amigo! Keep at it and work on your race consistency ;)
Thanks Robert, the truth that compete against you, Roy, in short the best, is a very big motivation for me, I must admit that you are a reference in gpl, and I learn a lot by watching you spin, record your laps and try to learn from the best, the time you did with ferrari in qualy is not human, I admire your humility very much, being that you are an alien, but it is clear that your best quality is to be a good person.

Sim Racing Links