• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

George,

I have a shot-in-the-dark idea. I know I've posted this before, almost certainly on this forum. I even have a vague memory of posting it in response to a problem that John H. was having. But either my memory is way off or I just can't find it using the forum's search utility.

Anyway, I recall a time from when GPL was very young when people were reporting problems with GPL retaining wheel and pedal calibration when entering the cockpit online. The solution was that every time you enter the cockpit by hitting the green button, run the wheel and pedals through their full range of motion before going anywhere. (Obviously you need to be careful blipping the throttle. You don't want to blow the engine. But if you do it quickly enough, you can floor the accelerator and release it before you redline.)

Check out any oAo replay in which I am a participant and you will see that I am in the habit of doing ALL THE TIME. I do it every time I enter the cockpit, whether my car is sitting in pit lane or on the grid. And I know that I'm not the only one in our league who does this

I don't know whether I am remembering correctly that this problem manifested itself only online, nor do I know whether running the controls through their ranges is still necessary. But I do it out of habit (even offline) and have never had any calibration problems. If you suspect that calibration is the culprit, then you might want to get in the habit, too. It can't hurt.

Michael

#22 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

I really drove my heart out at this difficult circuit.  I started 4th on the grid and got past Oud before the first turn. After a small error, he got past and I chased.  

After each of several small errors, I kept creeping back up behind Oud and Navonne, and surprisingly, Hammond who all three were very close together, but never within striking distance.

Then with about 10 laps to go, Navonne had his crash and I was up into 3rd.  I was feeling pretty proud of my driving and felt that since passing here is very difficult, I had 3rd wrapped up.  Two laps later, I suddenly had GPL freeze, along with Dodge, right in front of me, at the exact same time.  My teammie, Holada discoed at the exact same moment.  Bummer!

The racing was excellent and although I got held up in lapped traffic a bit, it wasn't anything unexpected with there being few places to safely let someone by at Adelaide.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#23 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostMGL66, on 04 March 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

George,

I have a shot-in-the-dark idea. I know I've posted this before, almost certainly on this forum. I even have a vague memory of posting it in response to a problem that John H. was having. But either my memory is way off or I just can't find it using the forum's search utility.

Anyway, I recall a time from when GPL was very young when people were reporting problems with GPL retaining wheel and pedal calibration when entering the cockpit online. The solution was that every time you enter the cockpit by hitting the green button, run the wheel and pedals through their full range of motion before going anywhere. (Obviously you need to be careful blipping the throttle. You don't want to blow the engine. But if you do it quickly enough, you can floor the accelerator and release it before you redline.)

Check out any oAo replay in which I am a participant and you will see that I am in the habit of doing ALL THE TIME. I do it every time I enter the cockpit, whether my car is sitting in pit lane or on the grid. And I know that I'm not the only one in our league who does this

I don't know whether I am remembering correctly that this problem manifested itself only online, nor do I know whether running the controls through their ranges is still necessary. But I do it out of habit (even offline) and have never had any calibration problems. If you suspect that calibration is the culprit, then you might want to get in the habit, too. It can't hurt.

Michael

Interesting stuff, thanks very much Michael. I'll give it a try. Can't hurt as you say.

#24 MK3424

MK3424

Camera man

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

First of all, this was my first race with the 67 cars... for years i have not been able to drive them because of their erratic behavior.

BUT! After watching Erik2ammo's video about differential settings, i finally was able to setup my Honda like how i wanted.

But now the race:

I started great, drove cleanly side-by-side through the chicane (as was advised in the email, thanks Bo), i even managed to gain some positions in the next corner and got into the groove and it all went fine...

Did a couple of fights for positions, gained some, loose some, even nearly advoided an incident right in front of me...

But i was starting to get anxious and that was not good: i was making more and more mistakes... by the the time i was trying to get back into groove.. i was getting lapped by the front runners and not knowing which one was in the front
or behind me... i was hugging the inside of the backstraight to let the leading cras pass by... when a Brabham (or Lotus) was behind me and because i was getting nervous of him being so close to me... i overrevved the engine during downshifting into the hairpin and blew the engine... i could have reset the car in the pits... but i'm not doing that...

Even tho i retired, i enjoyed the race and i look forward to the next race in Brazil. (on the old layout.... oh boy...)

#25 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Is that you Kayo? If so thanks for the diff info. I wasn't able to  implement it before the Adelaide race but will be sure to try it out before next race at Interlagos.

"Oh boy" is right! It's an amazing layout. I'm about a decade off the pace but it's an addictive layout. Lots of everything.

Glad you enjoyed your first OAO race.

Andrew H

#26 MK3424

MK3424

Camera man

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

View PostAndrew Hutchinson, on 05 March 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

Is that you Kayo? If so thanks for the diff info. I wasn't able to  implement it before the Adelaide race but will be sure to try it out before next race at Interlagos.

"Oh boy" is right! It's an amazing layout. I'm about a decade off the pace but it's an addictive layout. Lots of everything.

Glad you enjoyed your first OAO race.

Andrew H

Yep.

Yeah, it certainly is a special layout.. i might need some more practise laps to get a good driving rhythm, aswell as setting the car up to how i want it to flow on the track.

#27 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostMGL66, on 04 March 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

George,

Michael

I do the same, mostly because i notice at times when my computer has been sleeping overnight often causes the effect that the pedals become 'oversensitive' in responses, brake, throttle and clutch. I always rev the engine after the sleeping Mac is woken up to check this as you notice a difference when its sensitive, then i push all 3 pedals in fully and quickly in case of the throttle and go on my way :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#28 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

I simply calibrate my G25 every time I run GPL, that seems to have solved my problems.

Sim Racing Links