A Short Test

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Managed to get a couple of 24-lap gos in at PIR since my last post.  I've gone through the Pribluda documentation pretty thoroughly and believe I have a handle on it.  Ran those races with it activated and took screen shots for later study.  What's really important is that it keeps track of the number of laps that the player has run.  This is the crucial element that must be observed and not met except for the final run to the checker.  The last stint of however many there are will meet the server lap count and trigger the end of the race.  I'm quite happy with what I see regarding Prib's usefullness.  I don't care about sector times or tyre temps; I've masked them off.

Bob...  Thanks for the note.  Yes, from what I can see, a player needs to keep circulating for the leader data to be updated but I'm not so much concerned with that as I am in monitoring the player lap count.  I've used TS in the past but haven't for ages.  I find it an enormous distraction.  'DONI!  YOU MISERABLE ****ING BASTARD!' I've heard that more than once.  :)

Mick...  Sounds interesting.  You are limiting the length of the first stint to 60 minutes?  An equal split between two participants over the 2-hour practice session?  Three even.  Four?  Hmmm...  From what I know, GPLRA doesn't keep records of practice sessions if there isn't race data.  I don't think it will record damages or resets either.  I tried this a short while ago and discovered this feature.  A 'race' might have to follow even if it were just a token affair.  I encourage you to pursue your thoughts on this and I'd be happy to help out

As it stands right now, I'm very encouraged with things realizing that there are pitfalls and that use of Pribluda be considered mandatory.  Please do keep an eye on the OAO server as of tomorrow, July 23, when PIR should be available at times during the day.  I certainly will and plan to join.

#42 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

Just logged off the OAO server Monday afternoon.  Did the obligatory out-lap to get the pit stall board flashing for patch activation.  A-OK!  Did a couple of more laps with times noted in Pribluda.  Looking good!  :)

One thing I noticed in a test yesterday.  GPL's track page...the page that shows immediately before going to track or after quitting an on-track session...lists elapsed time in this format, 'X:XX:XX'  That would be hours, minutes and seconds.  That first 'X' is a single digit.  In a trial where I kept punching the 'accelerate time' box, I got GPL to click over 9 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds.  Result?  This became the readout; '#:XX:XX', where the number of hours was supplanted with the '#' symbol.  The minutes and seconds continued to click off.  I aborted the test at this point.  Would the first hour after #:59: 59 be properly recorded?  Yet to try that.  It would be possible by examining a replay to determine the time registered after the flip-flop but in all honesty, it would be quite a pain.  Is this a good reason to restrict GPL enduros to something less than 10 hours?  The longest, full-length race below that threshold that I'm aware of is the 9-hours of Kyalami.

#43 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 23 July 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

Is this a good reason to restrict GPL enduros to something less than 10 hours?  The longest, full-length race below that threshold that I'm aware of is the 9-hours of Kyalami.

Or any 1000km race :wiggle:
" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#44 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Or the Brands Hatch round. Ran as a 6 hour race in 67

Edited by Michkov, 23 July 2018 - 04:33 PM.

I just wanna race

#45 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:40 AM

Nasty weather in Keswick kept me in the paddock for much of yesterday but I did manage a handful of laps on the server.  Nothing to report on the downside.  I'll look to join the server again today in hopes of bumping into someone.

I've set the pit stalls side-by-side for teams for this event and am writing files for other circuits on the enduro schedule.  So far, so good.  One thing that did occur to me last evening was a potential way to have single-file stalls.  Prior to developing the side-by-side arrangement, I tried nose-to-tail stalls.  At some circuits, a single-file arrangement is virtually mandated due to a narrow pit lane.  Brands comes to mind.  Mosport, too, for the Sundown GP of Endurance(6-hours).  I see now that it might be quite possible to place cars in the same pit stall with identical coordinates.  Yep, that's right.  Consider that at no time other than the hand-off to a team mate in the pits should two cars occupy the same physical space.  Hmmm...  Worth looking into.

http://www.canadianr...com/sundown.asp

#46 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:30 AM

Hi Doni,
Do we have a final entry list, Teams Confirmed (Are the hypothetical teams now "real teams"). Car allocation?

At work currently, but I will log on this evening all being well (About 7hr from now)...

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#47 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi, John.  A final entry list has yet to be determined.  We can take participants right up to the last minute, I suppose, but that could risk defeating the test.  Tomorrow, Thursday, July 26, I intend to post a 'Race Day' procedure which should nail down all the particulars.  I'll publish a tentative teams breakdown at that time.

This morning, I experimented with Mosport.  The pit lane is much too narrow for side-by-sides.  So, taking the new thought of last night and applying duplicate coordinates to two cars, a test went off just fine.  What is vitally important in this is to not go to track before your stall has been vacated by your team mate.  I, uhhh, forgot that in a moment of distraction.  Total mayhem.  :)

Attached File  mosport mayhem.jpg   95.21K   10 downloads

Other than that, the offline test went just fine.

#48 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hi, fellas!  :)

Some notes on how I expect...hope...things shake out for our PIR Pit Stop Patch test.

I've described use of the Pit Stop Patch in an earlier post.  Please familiarize yourself fully with its use.

On race day, I should like all those who intend to participate to join the OAO chatroom at least 15 minutes prior to the start of practice.  There, we can discuss any issues and teams can be finalized.  A team will have a designated Lead Driver and a Co-Driver.  It's important to realize this.  Once the server is fired to commence practice, each team will join in order.  This is intended to keep a team locked into using a particular chassis.  Please be mindful of this and only move to join the server when instructed to do so.

On joining the server, Lead Drivers will stand down for the moment.  Co-Drivers will take to the track doing just an outlap before calling at the pits and pulling up to their pit atall board where they will activate the patch.  Once accomplished, they are done for the session; co-drivers will not set a time.  Lead drivers may then take to the track and record laps to set the grid.  When qualifying is finished, Lead Drivers will standby for the start as per normal.  When the green button fires, they may go to the grid.  Co-drivers wait at the menu page and will not join; they will allow the start to go off without them.  Some 20 seconds after the race has been flagged away, the green button will appear for the Co-Drivers allowing them to have a 'late start'.  Co-drivers will then go to track but remain stationary in the pits awaiting for the first hand-off from their Lead Driver.  This procedure seems necessary to achieve the goal of having each Co-Driver be placed in their designated pit stall.  The actual hand-off in a driver swap is achieved here at PIR by having the pit stalls placed side-by-side.  This isn't cast in stone but was selected as a viable method of taking advantage of lots of space for pit lane activity.

As for the race proper, the server will be set to 24 laps.  The aim of the test is to extend that total artificially by combining laps from two participants.  Therefore, our target goal of laps will be 46 split between the Lead and Co-Driver.  We cannot have each turning 24 laps as, once reached, that would trigger the end of the race.  The Co-Driver must always look to run fewer laps than the Lead Driver.  Note: Co-Drivers will not have their first lap recorded as they will have their pit stalls down-track of the S/F line.  They will have to run a lap to even start their count.  Keep an eye on the Pribluda readout to keep track of things.

Here is a strategy aimed at achieving this goal...

Stint One(the grid start for the Lead Driver); does 8 laps; pits for the first hand-off.
Stint Two(Co-Driver takes over); runs 12 laps then pits for the 2nd hand-off back to the Lead Driver; team total = 20.
Stint Three(Lead Driver starts his 2nd stint); does 8 laps; personal total for the Lead Driver = 16; team total = 28.
Stint Four(Co-Driver starts his 2nd and final stint); does 10 laps; personal total for the Co-Driver = 22; team total =38.
Stint Five(Lead Driver takes final stint); does 8 laps; personal total for the Lead Driver = 24; team total = 46.

There are other strategies possible but the crucial element to obey is that the Co-Driver must not blow over his alloted lap count.  You'll note that in the figures above, the Co-Driver has been limited to 22 laps.  This has a built-in tolerance of one lap in case the Co-Driver DOES exceed his lap count.  :)

An alternate strat?

Stint One(the grid start for the Lead Driver); does 10 laps; pits for the first hand-off.
Stint Two(Co-Driver takes over); runs 12 laps then pits for the 2nd hand-off back to the Lead Driver; team total = 22.
Stint Three(Lead Driver starts his 2nd stint); does 8 laps; personal total for the Lead Driver = 18; team total = 30.
Stint Four(Co-Driver starts his 2nd and final stint); does 10 laps; personal total for the Co-Driver = 22; team total =40.
Stint Five(Lead Driver takes final stint); does 6 laps; personal total for the Lead Driver = 24; team total = 46.

Best of Luck, Gys!  :)

#49 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

I've not tested with a full driver list but just a question..

As the pit stalls will be side by side can you confirm there is plenty of separation between the next and previous stall. (I'm just thinking of possible collisions in the pits due to it being a tight squeeze to get into and out of a "pit wall" stall).

TTFN
John.

#50 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

As written up in the track.ini file, John, each pair of starters in a team will have fully 30m between their stall and the next one ahead.  You could park a super tanker in there.  :)

The image below shows the first two teams parked in their respective stalls.

Attached File  stalls team 1 & 2.jpg   32.69K   6 downloads

This is typical for fully nine teams.

#51 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

As this is a test can we reduce the practice time to a minimum, say 10 minutes? Not much point in the Co drivers sitting around twiddling their thumbs for half an hour for an experiment.

Dunno if it's already been brought up, but I'd put the pitstall of the Cod Driver on the outside, that should make pulling out of the pits easier.

Edited by Michkov, 26 July 2018 - 08:48 PM.

I just wanna race

#52 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:41 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 26 July 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

Note: Co-Drivers will not have their first lap recorded as they will have their pit stalls down-track of the S/F line.

Every team is pitted beyond the S/F line?

OK, let's assume that the server is set to 24 laps and I am the co-driver of my team. I join the race after the obligatory delay and am placed in the pit stall beyond the S/F line. We are using your first strategy of 8/12/8/10/8 laps beginning with the leader's stint. When he crosses the S/F line the first time after the green flag, Pribluda counts 23 laps remaining. If he actually does do eight full laps, Prib will be showing 16 laps remaining as he comes around on the 9th lap to pit. But he'll trip the lap counter again on pit road when he crosses the S/F line, thus showing 15 remaining on his Prib when he hands off to me. Correct so far, right?

When I come out of the pit road onto T1 and enter the track, Prib is registering 24 laps left for me, but you're saying it isn't going to decrement a lap when I cross the S/F the first time. If that is the case, then if I cross the S/F line 12 more times my Prib laps remaining should read 12, then when I pull onto pit lane on my 13th lap and cross the S/F line to get to my stall, it decrements once again to 11.

Am I close to The Basic Concept here?  :)

#53 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Thanks very much for your input and comments, Michi & Pepe.  It is appreciated.  I don't pretend to have every last detail pinned down in this experiment.  I've given it a lot of thought but there's probably some little glitch hidden somewhere that will raise its ugly little head.  In a way, I hope it does.  If it has a solution, well, then, fine.  If not, the concept will be consigned to the trash heap.

Michi...  The full and typical 1/2 hour does seem a bit much, doesn't it?  I considered reducing the practice time to, say, 15 minutes.  Would that be OK?  Let me run out a note of request to Bo.  Stay tuned...

As well, as the track67.ini file is currently written, the Co-Driver will be placed nearest the track with the Lead Driver on his left.  Here are the first four lines from that file detailing the pit stall locations for Team #1 and Team #2...

stall_0  = 130 16.0
stall_1  = 130 13.5
stall_2  = 100 16.0
stall_3  = 100 13.5

Team #1 is placed 130m down-track of the S/F line with 2-1/2m between each car.  Team #2 is set 100m beyond the S/F line.

Pepe...  You've pretty much got it nailed.  To further clarify, tho...

"OK, let's assume that the server is set to 24 laps and I am the co-driver of my team. I join the race after the obligatory delay and am placed in the pit stall beyond the S/F line. We are using your first strategy of 8/12/8/10/8 laps beginning with the leader's stint. When he crosses the S/F line the first time after the green flag, Pribluda counts 23 laps remaining. If he actually does do eight full laps, Prib will be showing 16 laps remaining as he comes around on the 9th lap to pit. But he'll trip the lap counter again on pit road when he crosses the S/F line, thus showing 15 remaining on his Prib when he hands off to me. Correct so far, right?"

Yes.  After your Lead Driver gets his 7th lap in the books, he should be looking to pit next time 'round.  If he does as you paint above, he's actually done one more lap than he should have in his first stint.  This isn't necessarily a crusher as his last stint will be only 7 laps, not 8.

"When I come out of the pit road onto T1 and enter the track, Prib is registering 24 laps left for me, but you're saying it isn't going to decrement a lap when I cross the S/F the first time. If that is the case, then if I cross the S/F line 12 more times my Prib laps remaining should read 12, then when I pull onto pit lane on my 13th lap and cross the S/F line to get to my stall, it decrements once again to 11."

Yes, again.  This is how I believe it will play out.  Since you were not on the grid to take the start and your stall is beyond the S/F line, GPL considers your first lap as an outlap and isn't scored.  Only when you cross the S/F line for the first time will your laps be counted.  By rights, to adhere strictly to Strat #1, as the Co-Driver, you should look to pit after you see Pribluda indicating that you've got 11 laps scored.  As you pit the very next lap and tool down pit lane looking for your stall, you'll cross the S/F line getting credit for Lap12.

Isn't this fun!  :)

"Am I close to The Basic Concept here?  :)"  You got 'er, Pontiac!

As it stands right now, I believe that we have firm entries from...

Pepe
Michi
John(snafu)
Alain

That will be two teams of two.  I may be the odd man out.  Not a problem.  I can run a few laps making quite sure not to blow over the maximum count.  Alternatively, I can just watch the show.

#54 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

Ideally, I should like all participants to try the Night Patch.  I'd be very interested to see how it shakes out for each team member.  Will the experiences be quite different depending on where you are?  If you're sitting in the pits waiting for a hand-off, will the sky darken as your team mate clicks off laps?  Off hand, I'd think no.  It will only manifest itself for your lap count.  We'll see.  Please make every effort to save a replay cap of your race, gys.  A post-mortem on the results should prove interesting.

Michi and Mick have outlined concepts looking to achieve long-distance enduros for GPL.  As previously stated, I encourage them both to continue their researches.

#55 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

15 minutes is plenty of time, 5 minutes to join 1 to initialize the patch, the rest is for the pole, roughly speaking.
I just wanna race

#56 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 27 July 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Ideally, I should like all participants to try the Night Patch.  I'd be very interested to see how it shakes out for each team member.  Will the experiences be quite different depending on where you are?  If you're sitting in the pits waiting for a hand-off, will the sky darken as your team mate clicks off laps?  Off hand, I'd think no.  It will only manifest itself for your lap count.  We'll see.

As I understand it everyone will see the day/night effect at the same time regardless of if they are on track or not..

(Extract from "Readme" Notes section Item 4).
The patch was tested online and all players see the same Fog Effect at the same time even if they join the server at different times.

This does assume I think that the patch is activated on the server. There seems little point in us all trying it unless that is true..

TTFN
John

#57 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

Race Day!  :)

That will likely be the case then, John.  I had not taken your point from Lee's readme into account.  Let's just see what happens.

Bo is limiting practice/qualifying to 15 minutes commencing at the usual time.

#58 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Well, that was too bad. At about 5 minutes past the hour (25 minutes before qualifying), I managed to get into the chat room. John was shown as being logged in. I typed, "So far, so good," then left to do some practice laps off line. When I came back, I couldn't get back into Igor. When I'd double-click on the desktop icon, it wouldn't run the program but would instead just pin it to the taskbar. I tried everything to get back in without success. Finally I bailed and did a system restore back to last week. That solved the problem. I was back in the chat room with 5 minutes to spare.

The difficulty was that the GEM+ boxes checked for the pit stop and night patches that I'd carefully noted earlier this morning went away when I did the system restore. When I was launched into the game on pit road, I noticed right off the bat that neither patch seemed to be working. As lead driver I did the qualifying and did the first 12 laps, came in, and waited for Michi to get his laps in. The pit positions were screwed up, but at least I could see Michi was moving on the track. I figured I'd just go when I saw that he had come to a stop.

At that point I realized that I had but a gallon of fuel in the tank. Without thinking clearly I did a SHFT-R, was immediately restored and stuck near the inside rail on the track itself just beyond the S/F line, and huddled there in terror as Doni and Michi tore past me at speed. But, of course, since I wasn't moving, GPL thought I'd become unconscious and eventually retired me. This was exactly the problem that the pit stop patch was designed to prevent, the patch that my system restore had UNchecked.

Sigh. Sorry all, but even though it didn't go as we'd hoped, I'd still say the experiment shows real promise.

#59 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

Bad luck, Pepe.  Even after the reset, you could have tooled around to the the pits and stopped at your stall and most probably stayed in the race.

Short on time at the moment...lots to do around the house today...but to be sure, I'll be back ASAP for a complete analysis and review.  Some good...  Some bad...

Huge thanks to Pepe, John(snafu)and Michi for being my beta testers. Thanks, gys.  And HUGE thanks to Bo for making it all possible.

#60 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

Well that was interesting.

Sat in the pits using the V key to jump between cars, mostly watching Pepe. On him slowing for the pitstop switched back to my own car and got ready to take off. Worked perfect apart from the spin in T2.

Ran my stint, came in didn't hit the spot at first but after backing up the car I was fuelled so at least the patch worked. Problem is that I got taken off the track despite that. I need to consult the readme but I think I may have had some damage on the car and that may have messed up the patch.

Other observations, night patch wasn't working satisfactory, there was dusk night and dawn but that was all in the first stint.
Second, the race ended when Doni crossed the line. Not sure if this was a missunderstanding on Johns part but I dont think he'd have needed to go out again.

Replay
https://www.dropbox....ir exp.rar?dl=0
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links